top of page

Get to Know the Reentry Permit

The Reentry Permit refers to a document issued by the United States for lawful permanent residents (Green Card holders) who wish to travel outside the country for an extended period while maintaining their permanent resident status.

U.S. permanent residents (Green Card holders) are not allowed to be absent from the country for more than one year if they do not wish to interrupt the process of acquiring American citizenship. Therefore, those who need to stay abroad for this period must apply to the United States government for a document known as a "Reentry Permit."

This document is valid for two years from the date of issuance and cannot be extended.

To apply, it is necessary to complete Form I-131 (Application for Travel Document) along with the submission of additional supporting documents, as well as the payment of specific fees to the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS).

It is crucial to emphasize that, unlike the Advance Parole, which is granted to foreigners who have not yet obtained legal resident status, the reentry permit does not guarantee the individual's admission to the U.S. The authorization is subject to inspection by immigration officers at the point of entry, who have the legal authority to refuse entry if deemed necessary.

Foreigners intending to leave the United States for less than a year are not obligated to apply for the reentry permit.


bottom of page